13 April 2013

Roosevelt Island: Confrontational Reading

I rarely ever carry my camera with me, especially on long runs and hikes (too much looking through the lens instead of at what's in front of it), but I wish I had brought it along on my run this morning. On my trek over the river, I spent some time at the Theodore Roosevelt Memorial on the island. Flanking the central statue of Roosevelt himself are four giant stone panels with some of his most memorable words. A nice little hidden inspirational place. Below is an image of one of the panels. I have reproduced the text of the others below. I was so struck by the timeliness of Teddy's proverbs. Hardly anyone seems to favor 'righteousness over peace' anymore. Conservation, both in respect to natural resources and intellectual and cultural heritage, continues to have a reputation as a static, rather than dynamic activity. And the world, in various regions, seems unduly obsessed with 'order without liberty' and promoting 'liberty without order.' I just love how the bold and chiseled words confront and challenge the viewer so directly (each panel is probably taller than 20'). I think public sculpture plays a surprisingly important role in nurturing contemplation, especially when books are increasingly being sold and consumed as entertainment.


MANHOOD

A man's usefulness
depends upon his living up to
HIS IDEALS
in so far as he can
It is hard to fail but it is worse 
never to have tried to succeed

ALL DARING & COURAGE
All iron endurance or misfortune 
make for a finer & nobler type of
MANHOOD

Only those are fit to live
who do not fear to die
and none are fit to die
who have shrunk from the 
JOY OF LIFE
and the
DUTY OF LIFE


THE STATE

Ours is a government 
of liberty
by-through-and under the law
...
A GREAT DEMOCRACY
has got to be progressive or it will 
soon cease to be great or a democracy

Order without liberty 
and liberty without order
are equally destructive

In popular government results worth having
can be achieved only by men who combine
WORTHY IDEALS
with practical good sense

If I must choose between 
righteousness and peace
I CHOOSE RIGHTEOUSNESS

NATURE

There is delight in the
hardy life of the open

There are no words that can
tell the HIDDEN SPIRIT of the
wilderness-that can reveal
its mystery-its melancholy
and its charm

The nation behaves well if it treats the
NATURAL RESOURCES
as assets which it must turn over to 
THE NEXT GENERATION
increased and not impaired in value

CONSERVATION
means development
as much as it does
PROTECTION

YOUTH

I want to see you game boys:
I want to see you brave and manly and also want to see
you gentle and tender

Be practical as well as 
generous in your ideals
KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE STARS
But remember to keep your
feet on the ground

COURAGE - HARD WORK
-SELF MASTERY-
AND INTELLIGENT EFFORT
are all essential to successful life

Alike of THE NATION and the 
INDIVIDUAL
The one indispensable 
requisite is
CHARACTER

No comments:

Post a Comment